Christmas is the biggest Birthday party of the year!
We love Birthdays in our home! You may remember how we celebrate them BIG from this post. So Jesus’s birthday is no different!
Here’s how to throw a
Birthday Party for Jesus!
That’s right with streamers and balloons for Christmas morning. It reminds our family that this is a birthday party not a Santa celebration.
2. Make a Birthday Cake
The key word in this cake is BIRTHDAY. This is not an opportunity to make another holiday dessert. This is a traditional birthday cake! My kids plan, make and decorate it.
3. Add Candles and Sing ‘ Happy Birthday”
We sing every Christmas morning before opening presents.
4. Read the story of Jesus’s Birth
On my children’s birthdays, I tell them their birth story. So we read Luke 2:1-20 on Christmas morning.
“In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. And everyone went to their own town to register. So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.
And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”
Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
“Glory to God in the highest heaven,
and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”
When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”
So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.
5. Give Him Gifts
This looks different each year because I allow my children to think of ways they want to “give” to Jesus. This year as we talked about ways we can give to Jesus on His birthday, my youngest child, Palmer, said “Jesus simply wants our Praise. Lets sing and pray our praise.” Beautiful Truth.
Here are some ways our family has “given” presents to Jesus in the past.
- SHOE BOX PRESENT– we wrap an empty shoe box and cut a hole in the top. All month, we put little pieces of paper in it saying things we are thankful for, pictures, prayers, notes, and things we love about Jesus. On Christmas morning, we read them to Jesus out loud.
- OUR FAVORITE THINGS– On our birthdays, we go around the table and say our favorite thing about the birthday person. Christmas is no different. We take turns saying our favorite thing about Jesus.
- MAKE CARDS – We make and decorate Birthday Cards for Jesus and hang them up on the tree on wall.
- USE YOUR UNIQUE GIFTS THROUGH A BLESSINGS PARTY **LOVE**– In 1st grade at our school, instead of a traditional Christmas party with cookies and games, the children do chores to make money to adopt a needy family for Christmas. They take a field trip to Walmart with their earned money to buy them presents. They practice their fine motor skills as they wrap each present back in the classroom. Then on the day of the Blessings Party, not only are the gifts presented, but each child has the opportunity to perform for the group using their unique gifts. Some sing, others play the piano, some hula hoop, tell jokes, juggle, dance, and even share a picture they drew. It is absolutely a beautiful way to celebrate how they can use their God-given uniqueness to delight the Lord.
- THANK YOU’S – As we open gifts from each other, we simply say Thank You to the person but also to God. This party only happens because He gave us the GREATEST gift of all, a baby named Jesus, a savior for all who believe.
May your advent season be filled with the presence of the greatest gift of all, a savior who came because of His great love for you and me.