I love bringing joy to somebody with a ridiculous gift in their mailbox. It is FUN! It is unexpected! It’s fabulous! Our family has been mailing silly little things for a few years. We called it Hendrix Happy Mail. When my mother-in-law had a beach ball delivered to her front door last year, she thought I was nuts. Having a catching slogan gives it a little purpose. Before I give you some ideas of how to delight a friend in this manner, let me explain the postal guidelines.
Postal Guidelines for Happy Mail
- It must be 13 ounces or less to qualify for first class postal delivery . ( I have mailed items heavier than 13oz and it the price jumps so much, it is no longer happy mail) Most of the items I have mailed require just under $2 postage. Here is a link for exact numbers : USPS Postal Costs)
- Chose items that can withstand being on the bottom of a pile and not be damaged
- Clearly mark the To and From on the item.
- It does not have to be in a box or envelope.
- You can drop it in your mailbox, a mail drop or take it into the post office.